Saturday, May 22, 2010

L.A. on a beautiful Saturday

Today was our fifth day into our mission trip in Los Angeles California, and out of each day that we have been here so far, God really introduced me to something new. The night before we went to bed, all of us gathered for our nightly prayer and share time about our experiences or thoughts. We were each expressing our excitement for the next days trip to Skid row where each of us will be actually walking amongst many of the homeless people instead of being inside the safety of our vehicles. I was full of excitement....full of energy ready to be expressed to the many lost people of South Central. Though it being my first mission trip, I guess I underestimated the impact that would be expecting me when we began our witnessing to others. I won't lie, I was terrified beyond belief. In the beginning as we ventured off in different direction within our groups, I thought to myself "okay this isn't too bad...just say hi to someone right?" Truth is saying hi to a stranger who is homeless on the streets wasn't the difficult part, it was the culture shock that completely took me out of the comfort zone that I was use to. From drug deals to prostitution, my heart pounded nervously inside of my chest. I wanted to get in the car and hide :( . I felt like a small child lost amongst the crowd. But my fear was God's message to me. The message to TRUST, to be the wind for the many vessels that need to be moved. To realize that each and every individual that frightened me so profoundly, was loved by God graciously just like me. Today was an experience full of testimonies, different culture, and most of all Gods conversations.
- Karla

No comments:

Post a Comment