Saturday, May 22, 2010

Skid Row on a sunny Saturday

Today, day 5 here in LA, was spent on Skid Row. Nothing could've prepared me for what I witnessed today. I knew it was best not to expect anything until I actually saw what was in front of me. Through all the darkness and evil that was witnessed in seeing drug deals, prostitution, and being around people who had killed people, I still saw light in the dark place. I realized that no matter what choices those people had made, God still loves each and every one of them. I was able to meet and pray with a few different people, and the one who stuck out most was a young guy from Tyler, Texas. The common answer to the question "how did you end up here?" was "bad choices", which is what Stephen answered when he was asked. Because of those choices, he left his life in Texas behind, and now he greatly misses his family and the life he had. He is afraid to return because of his past, but believes God is giving him a fresh start. While his family may not be able to forgive him, God already has, from the second he made those bad choices. What I admired was that he is so determined to get back on his feet and start anew, and I continue to pray that he gets that chance. When we make a bad choice, God is always there to forgive us, although we are so undeserving.
I took a minute to look around Skid Row, to soak it all in, and I immediately felt extremely selfish. How could I ever take for granted everything that I have, when it could all slip away in a second? I've been so selfish, wanting silly things when there are people out there without food or shelter, things they actually NEED. God definitely humbled me and taught me to be thankful for each blessing he's given me. I learned an amazing lesson today, and I will never forget it, nor will I forget all the people I've met. No matter what goes wrong in this world, God is always there, and he will always love us, each and every one of us.

God Bless!
Kourtney Magill

No comments:

Post a Comment