Monday, May 24, 2010


So...it's our last day to be in Los Angeles, California. Where do I even begin to describe this one week journey?I remember the first time hearing about BSM attending a mission trip to L.A.in the near future and how everyone was so excited. I believe in the beginning there were about 40 people in the first two or three meetings that were wanting to go. It's funny because now that this trip is comign to an end, I think back to the large amount of people that were wanting to go, and then take a look at us twenty students who ended up being the ones called. I've learned so many things on this trip! I believe the most important lesson I NEEDED to see was understanding Gods love with a much deeper meaning. Being out on skid row for me was definitely out of my comfort zone...but each homeless individual walking the streets, criminal, or any friendly face in California for that matter is someone who God loves. "Jesus would not have died for us if he didn't want to live with out us". I saw thison a bumper sticker out in the parking lot and really took a liking to it :D. Yesterday we all worked very hard at a well known night club called the Mayan. Mosaic uses the Mayan for a gathering to worship God with individuals who are uncomfortable about being in an actual "church" where he or she could feel judged any second. I found this to be so fascinating! What a great idea...reaching to those in a enviornment where temptation has a strong pull. Lets bring God to those spots right? A man named Joby had told me something quite intriguing during clean up at the Mayan. He said "Scripture states that we need to pull none believers out of the fire, close enough to where we smell the smoke on them". To be honest what he said really spoke to me, we as followers need to not be solely amongst other believers. Of course we need to have our community of encouragement but at the same time lets not forget why God made contact with man kind in the first place. To bring us back to him. I desire to pursue a career in TV/Radio as a news reporter or even study acting like my father. The idea of acting would be so great because I would be doing something I truly enjoy as a hobby and also haha I just love movies and the different personalities one can portray as an actor/actress. Entertainment is pleasing! Though being in that sort of enviornment, where the fame and money can corrupt one's mind, I dont want to fall from Gods path. I Do NOT want to stray from what is right and drown in selfishness. Joby told me that if this is what I'm fearing, God is calling me to pursue this. Interesting right?
Over all this has been such a memorable experience, and I want to keep walking on a mission. I don't want to just believe "Okay! all done what great work we've accomplished, time to forget what I've learned and go back to my normal routine". Gods shown me too much to just stay quiet. Whenever the chance may arrise, I pray that he uses me in Austin or anywhere for that matter to learn something he needs me to understand. To introduce the idea of a relationship with Christ rather than a religious process to follow. I'll never forget worship that night at the Mayan. I dont really know how to tell you what came over me but I just threw my hands in the air and felt this warm and content feeling all over my body. I sang like no tomorrow and had tears run down my cheek :) That's never really happened to me before, I almost felt weird about it too! However, that's just what Gods presence feels like among his followers.
-Karla G

No comments:

Post a Comment